At Quincy Animal Shelter, we know that circumstances can make caring for your pet difficult. There are many resources available to try and keep your pet in your home. We understand that sometimes the difficult decision must be made to surrender your pet; rest assured that QAS is here to help you with the process. Please take a look at some resources designed to help with common surrender issues.
Many times animals come to us due to behavioral issues, some of which could be improved with training. Please take a look at what the ASPCA recommends to help with Common Dog Behavior issues or Common Cat Behavior Issues.
Renting with pets can be extremely frustrating. Many pets end up at QAS due to housing constraints when they are moving. You can search for a pet-friendly apartment at People With Pets or My Pit Bull is Family. There is also a facebook page for pet friendly housing in Massachusetts.
There are also places to assist if you are having financial trouble affording your pet. The South Shore Pet Food Pantry is a wonderful local organization. Fairy DogParents is an organization that may be able to help with medical bills. You can also find multiple organizations listed here.
Note: Due to limited capacity all animal surrenders are done by appointment only – Please call (617) 376-1349.
- Feline Intake Form or Canine Intake Form
- Your pets medical records. All dogs being surrendered should have Rabies, Distemper and Bordetella vaccinations.
- Other relevant information
- When the shelter is at full capacity, we maintain a waiting list.
- Animals previously adopted from Quincy Animal Shelter get first preference.
- There is a minimum $50.00 surrender fee per animal. This fee may be increased if an animal is not up to date on vaccines or is not altered. (Sorry, we can not accept personal checks.)